Did you know that the No. 1 item collected during California’s Coastal Cleanup Day in Pacifica are cigarette butts? Since 2005, 145,652 cigarette butts were collected, according to data from the Pacifica Beach Coalition. Cigarette butts are toxic, containing over 165 toxic chemicals, which leach into the ground or waterway, poisoning fish, birds, mammals and other wildlife.So if you want to help protect the dolphins that swim off the beaches in Pacifica from cigarette butts and other harmful trash, consider volunteering this Saturday at the 29th Annual California Coastal Cleanup Day to pick up litter.
The San Mateo Countywide Pollution Prevention Program invites community members to volunteer in their annual Coastal Cleanup Day this Saturday, Sept. 21 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at one of 40 sites in Pacifica. Work with the Pacifica Beach Coalition to clean up trash at beaches, creeks, parking lots and neighborhood streets with the goal to prevent the refuse from winding up in our bays and the ocean, landing on California’s coastline.Here’s a look at some of the clean up day locations in Pacifica. For more, visit the Pacifica Beach Coalition’s website here:
Meet at: Top of the Stairway to Esplanade Beach
Sharp Park Beach
Meet at: Start of the Levee
Meet at: 7/11 at Lakeside
Vallemar Habitat Restoration
Meet at: Bier's grove
Meet at: Vallemar Station
Meet at: Roberts Road overlook
Meet at: the skate park
San Pedro Creek
Meet at: Pedro Point Shopping Center or convalescent home off Peralta
Linda Mar Beach/Pacifica State Beach
Meet at: South end of Linda Mar State Beach parking lot
Meet at: Parking lot at San Marlo Way
San Pedro Creek Watershed
Meet at: North end of Pedro Point Shopping Center
Sharp Park Beach
Meet at: Near picnic tables on Beach Blvd. @ Clarendon
Meet at: Mussel Rock parking lot end of Westline Drive
Thornton State Beach
Meet at: North side of horse stables on Olympic Way, off Skyline Blvd.
Sign up by following these three easy steps:
STEP 1 - FIND A SITE & REGISTER
Click on the placemarks on the clean up map for a complete list of sites.
- Individuals and/or Families: Register Now to join an organized clean up at one of the sites - see map below. Or you can ADOPT A SPOT - see list of hot spot sites below.
- Groups and/or Teams (i.e, scout troops, school/civic/church groups, co-worker teams, etc) To sign up to work together as a group and make a difference at a hot spot, or create your own site around your home, neighborhood, park or playground, email email@example.com.
- Businesses: Sign up to clean up around your business, or ADOPT A SPOT - see list of hot spot sites below.
STEP 2 - DOWNLOAD & COMPLETE WAIVER FORM
Download and complete a Waiver Form [PDF] for each person in your household planning to participate in CCUD 2013. Please bring your waiver form with you to the cleanup.
STEP 3 - ARRIVE AT YOUR
SITE ON SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2013:
Don't forget to pick up trash and debris while heading to your site. Grab a bag and glove from home and start the cleanup on your way!
- BRING - Your completed waiver form (hard copy) to submit to site captain.
- WEAR - Proper clothing (i.e. close-toed shoes, sunscreen, hat, and layers).
- BRING - Reusable clean up supplies to reduce waste (bags, bucket, gloves, water bottle, etc.).*
*Note: The Pacifica Beach Coalition will also have clean-up supplies available for registered volunteers.