Update, 11:30 a.m.
Lt. Tim Mahon of the San Bruno Police Department has provided additional information regarding this morning’s shooting.
- The victim was male. His identity and whether he lived in San Bruno or elsewhere will be released by the San Mateo County Coroner’s Office.
- The vehicle was stolen from San Francisco more than a week ago. The patrol officer noticed the vehicle, ran a check, and found out that it was stolen.
- The officer involved in the shooting will not be identified until the San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office completes its investigation. That could take longer than 6 months, depending upon the complexity of the probe.
- The officer fired in self-defense. The exact circumstances of the threat against the officer will be revealed in the formal investigation.
- The officer will be offered mental-health counseling to deal with the aftermath of the shooting.
- Lt. Mahon emphasized that there is not an ongoing threat to the people of San Bruno. He called this case ‘an isolated incident’ and offered condolences to families ‘on both sides of this’—the officer and the suspect’s family.
A stolen vehicle pursuit ended with a suspect being shot and killed by a San Bruno police officer.
It started just after 2 a.m. Tuesday when a San Bruno Police Officer spotted a stolen vehicle.
According Lt. Tim Mahon, San Bruno Police, “The officer attempted to stop the vehicle and a short pursuit ensued. The stolen vehicle turned down a dead-end street and while the officer was attempting to apprehend the suspects, he discharged his firearm, striking the driver of the vehicle. The driver was pronounced dead at the scene.”
A passenger in the vehicle was not injured. That person was taken into custody on an unrelated warrant.
The shooting is being investigated by the San Mateo County District Attorney’s Office and the San Bruno Police Department.
If you have information about this incident call the San Bruno Police Department at (650) 616-7100. Information can also be provided anonymously to: firstname.lastname@example.org.